XCOM 2 Grenadier Class Guide – Abilities, Tips & Tricks
The most explosive class available in XCOM 2, the Grenadier. Our XCOM 2 Grenadier Class guide will provide you with a full list of the abilities you can unlock as you level up through the game whilst also offering some tips and tricks to ensure your Grenadier leads your team into the heat of combat.
The Grenadier Class in XCOM 2 is one of the most versatile classes in the game. They can be specced so that their normal weapon fire shreds shields alongside the devastating damage from various types of grenades with the grenade launcher.
Check below for a list of Grenadier skills and abilities.
XCOM 2 Grenadier Abilities List
Blast Padding – Your gear includes layers of extra padding and blast plates, granting a bonus point of Armor and 66% less damage from explosive attacks
Shredder – Your cannon attacks shred armor. Higher rank weapons shred more points of armor. The shredding effect applies before damage.
Demolition – Unleash a volley of bullets at your target’s cover, significantly damaging or destroying it. Deals no damage to your target.
Suppression – Fire a barrage that pins down your target, granting reaction fire against it if it moves, and imposing a -50 penalty to the target’s aim. Suppression is cancelled if the Grenadier takes damage. Suppression penalties stack. Uses 2 ammo. No cooldown.
Heavy Ordnance – The grenade in your grenade-only slot gains a bonus use. Includes support grenades, not just offensive ones.
Holo Targeting – Any directed cannon shot, hit or miss, will mark the target, increasing your squad’s aim by +15 against this target. Applies to standard attacks and single-target abilities, including suppression.
Volatile Mix – Grenades deal +2 damage. Does not increase environment damage.
Chain Shot – Fires a shot with a penalty of 15 to aim. If it hits, immediately fire another shot at the target. Uses 2 ammo. 3-turn cooldown.
Salvo – Using the grenade launcher or a heavy weapon as your first action does not end the turn.
Hail of Bullets – Fire a shot that is guaranteed to hit. Uses 3 ammo. 5-turn cooldown.
Saturation Fire – Fire a hail of bullets in a cone damaging every enemy and all cover within. Uses 3 ammo. 5-turn cooldown.
Rupture – Fires a shot that deals critical damage. The target, if hit, will also take 3 additional damage from all sources. Uses 3 ammo. 3-turn cooldown.
XCOM 2 Grenadier Tips & Tricks
- As you progress through the game the enemies you encounter will have more and more armor. The Grenadier excels in this area and is the best class for dealing with armored units – whether they are turrets or normal enemies.
- The Grenadier’s grenade launcher is one of the most accurate abilities in the game. When aiming the drop zone make sure anything you want to hit is shadowed in darkness, this represents the hit area.
- The grenade launcher can destroy cover but is also incredibly useful for taking down units at a higher elevation. If you destroy the floor below enemies above they can fall down to the lower floors and receive additional fall damage
- As well as traditional grenades the grenade launcher can destroy various elements of the environment. If you need to destroy a wall to shoot an objective from afar or destroy a security window to escape, the Grenadier is the choice.
- As you progress you can unlock additional grenade types, such as poison and acid. These are a fantastic way to specialize your Grenadier to deal with either organic or armored units respectively.
- Due to the 100% accuracy of the grenade launcher the Grenadier is one of the best classes for initiating combat. Ensure all of your squad is on Overwatch and initiate last with a grenade attacking multiple targets.
- Always remember your Grenadier. For example: If you’re attacking an armored unit with your squad but attack last with the Grenadier, you lost the potential to do far more damage with your other units. Always remember to take down armor first whenever possible.
Where To Sell Items In XCOM 2 – What Items/Corpses Can You Sell Safely
XCOM 2 Class Guide – Ranger
XCOM 2 Class Guide – Specialist
XCOM 2 Class Guide – Psi Operative
XCOM 2 Class Guide – Sharpshooter