During the recent State of Play event for PlayStation, Square Enix released an exciting new trailer, and announced the release date, for the highly anticipated action-RPG, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. The next installment in the epic remake saga promises to deliver immersive new storylines, an expanded combat system, and an “expansive world designed for exploration”.
The Final Fantasy VII Rebirth announcement was the prize of the show as fans got an exciting glimpse into new content including side quests, iconic summons, and the Golden Saucer – CHOCOBO RACING!! Sorry, got a bit carried away there.
Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH Release Date Announced
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth launches on February 29th, for the PlayStation 5. Players have a lot of new information to unpack following the latest State of Play event. The new trailer showcases the game’s iconic figures as they explore a world brimming with danger at every turn. Yuffie and Red XIII will both be playable in the sequel, much to the delight of fans.
Yoshinori Kitase, Producer “FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH has been set for release on February 29, 2024. This second installment of the FINAL FANTASY VII remake project will feature elements from the previous game, as well as greatly enhanced features such as the vast world map to explore and synergy abilities with party members. The story will unfold more dramatically than ever before, with a rapid pace of major twists and turns. We know fans are dying to see one scene in particular… FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH can be enjoyed on its own as a standalone adventure, with the party leaving Midgar to explore the wide world beyond. But for those wishing to deepen their understanding of the story, a recap of the previous game will also be provided. We hope that both fans and those who have never played FINAL FANTASY before will enjoy this game.”
Naoki Hamaguchi, Director“We are finally able to announce the release date to all of you! We have been working tirelessly on FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH since the release of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, and we can’t wait for you to experience our labor of love. In this title, Cloud and his friends, who have fled Midgar, will be setting out on an adventure across an expansive world of untold adventure in pursuit of Sephiroth, the legendary SOLDIER. While the main storyline is bigger and more ambitious than the previous game’s narrative, FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH also embraces the concept of “free exploration,” with compelling stories, fun mini-games, powerful monsters and so much more to find throughout the world map. We hope you will explore this world in great detail, as nearly 100 hours of adventure await. We hope you will take this new FINAL FANTASY game experience in your own hands to enjoy.”
Tetsuya Nomura, Creative Director“This is the second title of a trilogy, and covers between the start of the journey outside Midgar to the midpoint of the original FINAL FANTASY VII. If FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE was an introduction to the world and a preparation for this journey, FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH serves as an illustration of the incidents that started the journey, an exploration of the people tied to it, and the journey itself, heading toward its climax. Many elements were carefully selected for this title and because this is a series, we have the unique opportunity to review and incorporate feedback from the previous title, such as by increasing the number of characters. I am sure that the bar for the next work will be raised even higher now that we have included so many spectacular elements in this work, but even so, the entire team continues to work diligently and without compromise on its development. There is also the looming question of what fate awaits. Whether you have experienced the original title or will embark on this adventure with fresh eyes, we hope you will face the ending of this work on your own terms.”
Square Enix also unveiled details surrounding the physical and digital editions of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, which is sure to be the perfect accompaniment to my Cloud and Fenrir that sits on my desk.
- Physical – across two game discs; includes a reversible cover, and the preorder incentive of the digital Midgar Bangle Mk. II armor at participating retailers
- Standard Edition ($69.99)
- Deluxe Edition ($99.99) – Includes Mini-soundtrack CD, artbook and steelbook case
- Collector’s Edition ($349.99) – Includes large, highly detailed collectible statue of Sephiroth, Deluxe Edition contents, along with digital DLC items including Summoning Materia DLC, allowing players to summon the Moogle Trio, and the Magic Pot, along with equipment, like the Reclaimant Choker accessory and the Orchid Bracelet armor. The Collector’s Edition will be available to pre-order in limited quantities from the Square Enix Store.
- Digital – includes the Moogle Trio Summoning Materia DLC
- Standard Edition ($69.99)
- Digital Deluxe Edition ($89.99) – Includes digital Mini-soundtrack, digital artbook, and digital DLC items including the Magic Pot Summoning Materia, Reclaimant Choker accessory and the Orchid Bracelet armor
- Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade ($20) – Can be purchased to upgrade previously purchased Standard Edition, adding Digital Deluxe Edition contents*
Additionally, players can pick up the Final Fantasy VII Remake & Rebirth Twin Pack ($99.99) that includes Rebirth at launch, and a full download of Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, which is available to download now.