With just about a month until the release of Mario Kart 8, Nintendo has released new information about the game to help get fans excited. In the newest Nintendo Direct video, Nintendo announced a free game download, news regarding online features for Mario Kart 8 and a few new items and characters.
The announcement included:
- New Racers! Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach are making their debut in Mario Kart 8. The addition of these two characters brings the playable character number up to an even 30 (including your personal Mii character).
- New Items! Two new crazy items were announced in the most recent Nintendo Direct. The first new item appearing in Mario Kart 8 will be the “Crazy Eight”. The Crazy Eight will give players 8 unique items that they can use one by one. The other new item is called the “Super Horn”. Using the Super Horn sends out a shock wave that blasts everything near the player away. This includes drivers, red shells and even spiny shells.
- Online Multiplayer: There are four main ways to play online with up to 12 players in Mario Kart 8 (Global, Regional, Friends and Rivals and Tournament). Mario Kart 8 allows players already in the lobby to chat using the GamePad microphone. Racers are also given the ability to create private or public tournaments held on a specified time and day of the week, using rules specified by the creator of the tournament.
- Mario Kart TV: This will be an in-game place where players can view their highlight reels with rewind and slow motion controls, as well as view the most popular highlight reels in the world. On top of this, players can also take their highlight reels and post them straight to YouTube.
- Mario Kart 8 Bonus Game Promotion: If you purchase Mario Kart 8 and you register a Club Nintendo PIN code of the game with Club Nintendo between May 30th, 2014 and July 31st, 2014, you will receive a free download code for one of 10 selected Wii U games by August 31st 2014.